Saturday, September 3, 2011

Mama's Tamales- the BEST Mexican food this side of the border (not counting abuelita's house, of course!)

What can I say about Mama's Tamales? Well, for one- I wish it were open longer, but maybe the short hours are better for my waistline....
We have been fans of this restaurant for the past 3 years or so. The place is owned by 'Mama' and her many daughters, who all bear some resemblance (but are MORE beautiful than)to Frida Kahlo. The walls bear all sorts of testaments to Diego Rivera, Kahlo, 'Mama', and their family heritage. Furniture is all too cool, with these solid rustic tables and chairs- some stained, some painted the brightest, happiest colors ever- basically, when you walk in, you feel at home.







Daily specials are posted on a blackboard right as you walk in, and some days you know you are in for a special treat. What sets Mama's apart is that their food is made.from.scratch every day. No canned anything to be found, the food is never greasy or stale (loaded with cheese, yes, but never dripping with grease), and best of all- nothing is fried in lard! (sorry, y'all- I kind of hate that stuff. It tastes like death to me). I will return to this post the next time we visit, and update pics and the like- this blog stuff is still new to me and I am feeling my way around it, slowly....

No comments:

Post a Comment